[6/10] St. Monica Home of Rest
The two manual organ in this splendid Church dating from Medieval times was built by Vowles of Bristol, and it was inaugurated in November 1870. Although originally placed in the East end of the Church, in 1892 it was moved to its present position in a high gallery on the left hand side of the Chancel. The organ itself is embraced by an ornate wooden case and the console is tucked away behind the instrument overlooking the choir. Ranks of diapason pipes are arrayed on three sides.
The organ has tracker action, and a swell box with two sets of shutters operated independently by two pedals – one facing into body of the Church and the other into the Chancel. An electric blower was installed in 1924 when electric power was supplied to the Church. Daniels of Clevedon conducted a major overhaul during the early 1980s. Otherwise, the organ is still very much in its original condition.
Bristol & District Organists’ Association
The Bristol and District Organists' Association (BDOA) is affiliated to the 'Incorporated Association of Organists' (IAO) its parent body. There are 100 local associations like the BDOA with a membership of 7,400... Read more